Earlier, fleet managers relied on a messy paper trail, a lot of guesswork and sheer faith to ensure that their drivers meet daily workload on time. With today’s technological transformation, the scenario has completely changed. From vehicle tracking, dynamic dispatch to cost management, fleet managers have an arsenal of advanced tools that they can employ to improve productivity and operational efficiency. One such opportunity is the route planning and optimisation solution.
Significance of an effective route planning strategy
No matter the size of your organisation, every fleet-based company faces the common challenge of planning routes to reach multiple destinations within a single trip. What are the jobs that can be taken up during a single trip? What is the fastest route to the destination? Are there are any heavy-traffic routes on the way? When will the driver reach? – These are the many questions that plague fleet managers while strategizing an effective route.
Quite often, businesses fail to realise the importance of route optimisation. There are many ways a route planning optimisation can benefit your fleet productivity.
- An effective route that connects multiple stop locations can assist drivers in completing more jobs within the stipulated period of time. Without taking many route deviations, drivers can cover maximum area and, at the same time, minimise miles travelled.
- Route optimisation leads to decreased fuel consumption. When your drivers receive turn-by-turn instructions and complete their tasks by travelling through shorter routes, they naturally consume lesser fuel, thereby reducing fuel expenditure.
- By managing daily tasks with smarter routes, your mobile workforce can fulfil their work commitments on time. This means, your business can avoid or minimise overtime labour costs.
- The GPS technology plays a crucial role in planning your routes. This gives you the advantage of spotting heavy-traffic roads, road diversion information and other current scenarios that could impact the driver’s journey. Also, drivers can rely on the GPS navigation for any alternative routes. With such crucial information at hand, drivers can avoid wasting their time in battling unforeseen events.
- With a proper plan in place, drivers can deliver on-time service, thereby improving customer experience.
Route planning optimisation software is an innovative way of bringing a positive impact on your business operations. Implement route planning strategies to expedite your work processes and increase profitable opportunities.